Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fishing Deer Lake (Sasquatch Provincial Park)




Although I know nothing about fishing I do remember loving it from my childhood. My dad used to wake us up at around 4 am, get us dressed in our warm clothes and pack everything into the car. We would head then to 7-11 to get a "breakfast treat" (which in all honesty I think was my reason for attending the outing mostly). We would then set out fishing for the day. Me with my rod made out of a bamboo stick and eyelet screws and my dad and brother with their real rods. I never did catch anything with that rod but had fun trying all the same.
This particular morning friend and I headed out around 9am (not exactly the 4am start of my childhood days). He provided the rods and a sure fire spot to catch something for a beginner fisherwoman like myself. We stopped in Harrison at a bait shop for some worms and a fishing license. Although, you can also get a license online before you go. One day is 10 dollars or a year is 36 dollars for a freshwater license. We parked our cars in the gravel lot and started the 10 min walk along the trail to our fishing spot. My friend pointed out that there had been two beaver dams that were flooding the walking trail and plumbers had been called in to drain the dams with PVC pipes. It was definitely an amazing feet of nature to see the rather large trees that were gnawed away by the little beavers all around the trail. We arrived at our little piece of beach and set up our camping chairs.
Side note: This type of date is not for someone who is not willing to get their hands a little dirty unless of course their date is willing to do the "dirty work" for them.
Excited at the thrill of catching something I set up my rod right away, baited the hook with a worm (hence the first dirty part) and cast into the lake. After only a few minutes I started getting nibbles and reeled in to find my first little trout at the end of my line. We were just there to have fun not to take the fish home and due to the time of year the fish were still on the smaller side. I proceeded to removed the hook (hence the second dirty part) and set the little guy free. This was the first of many fish caught by my friend and I. Surprisingly each time the thrill of watching the line bounce around and hoping something was at the other end still captured me. After we had our fill for the day we headed back through Harrison and stopped at the Old Settler Pub for a late lunch and then headed home.
Cost of date:
10 $ for my license
25$ for pub lunch

Time required: Half to full day

No comments:

Post a Comment